Sunday, July 12, 2009

~As I Proudly Sit~



Early this evening, I went to sit on the front porch with a cup of coffee in hand, to wait for my hubby to come home from work. While sitting, watching people with their beach chairs heading to the gazebo on the bayfront, I thought for a moment, hmmm, the fireworks were last week, I wonder what's going on? Well about a 1/2 hour had passed by, and the sun was beginning to set in the west, Steven had gotten home and started the grill. Well we both sat on the front porch, waved hello to our neighbors across the street, and then it started..!! The Music!! Now to us beach people listening to the sounds of the band at the gazebo, meant it was officially summer..!!
Well as the sun was starting to go down, and their first song of the concert was the "Star Spangled Banner~ and for some reason to this day, I still emotionally get choked up, over any Patriotic song as a matter of fact. It was so beautiful, sitting and enjoying the sounds of summer, hearing the songs most favored by the American people..As the concert began and only living about 5 short blocks away, you could almost hear the people singing along, and I visualized them standing, the ladies with their hands over their hearts, and the men holding their baseball caps over their hearts, and Old Glory blowing gently in the wind...
I live in a small little beach town along the Jersey Coast, only a mile long from beginning to end..And I must say I do believe we are a very Patriotic town. We have a small memorial on our bayfront recognizing our town's "HEROES". One very special man comes to mind. USAF Pilot Major George Polin. He went missing in action during the Vietnam War. His plane and partial remains were found approx. 15 or so years ago. The town even ran a bus trip to Washington D.C. for his funeral at Arlington National Cemetary. My husband had gone and this day was videotaped for the family.
My brother who is RET. USAF was also of the Vietnam era, he had gotten his orders for Nam, but at the last minute were changed, he was then stationed in Guam, before being sent to Washington DC, where he was then to serve on Air Force One, for then President Richard Nixon, and Vice President Spiro Agnew.
My niece Kimmie (my brother's daughter) is currently a USAF Sgt. stationed at Ramstein AFB in Germany. Kimmie has served 2 tours in Iraq with a tour of Korea in between. She has lived all over in her career with the USAF, one of her most favorites being Okinawa, Japan. My great nephew had come home on leave with his Mom, and he talked to us in Japanese!! He is a world traveler for sure..!! Living in Germany, they go all over, they have even taken a short flight to have lunch in France and back home for dinner.
Anyway, I guess I am getting a little off track here, getting back to our town's concerts..they are every Sunday night in the summer, and if tonight's preview is what's to come for the rest of the summer, well the residents of this tiny little town are surely in for a treat..!! The sun was completely down at the end of the concert, and the band ended with ~God Bless America~, so beautifully done I might add...I found myself singing to the music, and even a tear was slowly running down my cheek, looking into the sky and praying for my 3 adopted soldiers!!! Dear Lord, I ask nothing for myself, but for only the health and love of my family, and the safe return home of Dustin, Raymond and Michael. I ask you Lord to gently wrap your loving arms around my 3 soldiers, and the rest of our troops fighting to keep us not only free, but safe as well. Bring these men and women home safely Lord to their families who are patiently waiting. Amen.
On the 4th of July weekend, I do fly one special flag in front of my house, it's called the Flag of Heroes. It has the names of all the Police, Fire and First Aid that lost their lives on 9-11. Dear friends of ours, lost their son that day...Firefighter Dennis O'berg, only 6 months with the NYFD, he left his career as a Certified Public Accountant to follow the footsteps of his father, who was also a Firefighter with the NYFD.. After loosing their son that very sad day, Dennis and Dorothy both retired from their jobs in New York City. On that flag is Dennis's name, and a neighbor of my Mom, who was in the North Tower that day on business, her name was Julie Zipper. I fly my Flag very proudly that one and only weekend of the year, because I am so afraid of it being stolen, and I don't think that Flag could ever be replaced. We purchased it at the Annual Firemen's Convention in Wildwood, NJ in Sept. of 02.
Well now that I have rambled on and probably made no sense at all, I understand, so it's ok..if that makes any sense..The picture on this page is my "FLAG OF HEROES"... God Bless All our Heroes..Our Military, and all our Men and Women who wear a uniform!!




1 comment:

Linda said...

So very interesting,thanks for the share!